Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Write about a difficult time in your life during which your spiritual beliefs sustained you – or didn’t sustain you. Did that experience increase your devotion? Or, if you did not feel sustained, cause you to question your beliefs? Write about the long-term effects of this experience on your spiritual life.

    One of the most world changing experiences of my life was watching my grandfather die. If we’re being honest I never really cared for his company, but my mother loved him. He seemed like the type of person that the priests described as just and fair. In other words he should have lived a long prosperous life. Unfortunately that was not the case. He was forced from his home. He spent his last years living with his daughter, my mother. He had been stricken with cancer and spent the last decade of his life battling cancer and losing. It was honestly the first time I had ever seen a “good person” struggle. I was only child so I was still under the delusion that the universe punished those who were wrong and rewarded those who were just. Its hard having to see that truth dismantled in front of your very eyes through the destruction of someone you mother cared about. Such is life I suppose. Did this experience change my spiritual beliefs in the long term? How do I feel about the notions of fairness, justice and karma these days? I can’t really say that I honestly believe in karma or justice anymore. How can anyone honestly?   

No comments:

Post a Comment